Sign In | Create an Account | Welcome, . My Account | Logout | Subscribe | Submit News | Home RSS

Rebels set adrift by Columbus

Sailors snap eighth-ranked Gladbrook-Reinbeck’s six-game win streak

May 24, 2015
TYLER STRAND , Reinbeck Courier

WATERLOO - After nearly 62 minutes of scoreless play, the Rebels finally found the equalizer they needed to stave off defeat.

In the eyes of head coach Kirk Dinsdale, it should have represented the game-winner.

Unable to maintain the momentum into the overtime period, the Class 1A No. 8 Gladbrook-Reinbeck boys soccer team fell 3-2 to Waterloo Columbus Tuesday in the third match-up between the teams this season.

Isaac Squires scored the golden goal in the 88th minute off a centering pass from Collin Blair to snap G-R's six-game win streak.

Erik Knaack netted both goals for the Rebels (10-3), including the tying one off a direct free kick from Bennett Petersen in the 76th, but Blair's questionable goal less than five minutes in had Dinsdale's club playing from behind nearly the entire evening.

"It shouldn't have been an equalizer, it should have been a winner because they gave them a goal that never should have counted because it never went in the net down there," Dinsdale said. "We had our backs against the wall after that."

Blair's rebound shot deflected off Josh Cooley's hands and bounced off the left post before the G-R keeper got his mitts back on the ball, though the side official ruled it had crossed the line for a goal.

"It hit the side of the post and it went to our goalie and for some reason the (official) on that side thought it went in so she gave them a goal out of it," Dinsdale said. "We were playing behind the 8-ball the whole time from then on."

Knaack countered with a goal five minutes later blasting a right-footer from just outside the 18. The tie was short-lived though as Kyle Schott's deflected ball squeezed just under the crossbar in the 14th.

The Rebels played without their second-leading scorer, Cam Kickbush, who rolled an ankle in Monday's 2-0 victory over Hudson, though G-R still attempted more shots (22-18) and had two more on target (11-9).

Knaack had a couple other shots that skidded just wide of the left post and nearly headed in a ball in front of keeper Francis Hart late in the match. Hart turned away another challenge from Jake Mohlis with less than 4 minutes to play and made nine saves in goal for the Sailors (7-7).

G-R's equalizer off a set piece worked to perfection as Petersen chipped the ball near the left post where Knaack broke free of his man and buried one into the net.

"We had a breakdown, a little miscommunication," Sailors coach Scott Yount said. "But we didn't get on one another. We were a little bummed but we rebounded."

Yount swapped outside midfielder Schott with forward Kyle Pranger in the extra session believing Schott would have some extra energy after letting Knaack get by for his second goal.

"I switched them because Schott unfortunately was the one who let his guy go and I knew he'd have some fire in him and he did," Young said. "He came out and played well, all the boys did."

G-R defeated the Sailors in a preseason jamboree at Wallace Stadium and later rallied for a 3-2 victory in its season opener at Waterloo Columbus. The two teams could square off a fourth time in the postseason if their substate lines up just right. G-R likely won't forget Tuesday's opening goal that set the tone early and was questionable in the eyes of Yount as well.

"From my point of view, I couldn't tell," Yount said. "I saw three or four of my guys with their hands up, I'm not so sure where the side ref was, if she saw it at a good angle. From my perspective I saw it go off the goalie, hit off the post and then from there on it was kind of like well ... unfortunately we can't afford instant replay."



I am looking for:
News, Blogs & Events Web