Sign In | Create an Account | Welcome, . My Account | Logout | Subscribe | Submit News | Home RSS
 
 
 

Wet or flooded basements pose safety risks with electricity and natural gas

Alliant Energy offers tips on how to stay safe

July 6, 2014
Reinbeck Courier

CEDAR RAPIDS, IA Recent storms have caused flash flooding around Iowa. Wet or flooded buildings and basements, combined with electricity and natural gas creates safety risks.

Important safety tips:

Never walk through a flooded home or building until the electricity is disconnected. Even a small amount of water on the floor can put you at risk for electrocution.

If there is standing water in your home or business call Alliant Energy at 1-800-255-4268 to have the electricity and natural gas disconnected at the meter. Standing water can extinguish pilot lights on water heaters and furnaces, filling your home with natural gas.

Avoid walking in flooded backyards if water is touching ground-mounted electrical transformers or other utility equipment.

Only start cleaning after the power has been turned off.

Never reuse a flooded natural gas appliance. Water can cause corrosion inside the appliance.

Do not place electrical extension cords or appliances in water.

Never handle electric appliances or any other electric equipment, such as a circuit breaker, with wet hands or while standing on a wet surface.

Make sure generators used for water removal are outside and vented properly. Keep extension cords from generators out of water.

Do not touch fallen power lines or anything that is in contact with a downed power line.

If you smell gas:

Leave your home or business when there is a strong gas odor.

Do not attempt to locate the gas leak.

Call 911 or Alliant Energy from a safe location and keep others away until area is safe.

Do not operate any electrical device, including phones (cordless, cell or landline), garage door opener, radios, TVs, computers, or anything that creates a flame, like matches or a lighter.

Do not turn on or turn off any lights or electrical switches.

Do not position or operate vehicles and power equipment where leaking gas may be present.

Alliant Energy does not charge for flood-related disconnects and reconnects. Shutting off your electric and natural gas service during times of flooding is done for safety purposes. Alliant Energy will not charge you to have your service turned off or turned back on when flooding occurs.

For more safety information, visit alliantenergy.com/floodsafety or call 1-800-ALLIANT (800-255-4268).

 
 

 

I am looking for:
in:
News, Blogs & Events Web