The Grundy County Board of Supervisors acknowledged the sixtieth anniversary of Grundy County Memorial Hospital by approving a proclamation that recognizes both the health care impact and key economic role the hospital performs in Grundy County. The U.S. Surgeon General gave approval to the hospital project in July of 1949 and the hospital received its Iowa license and opened in July of 1952.
Newspaper accounts from 1945 through 1952 mention the effort that went into planning the new hospital for the residents of Grundy County, referring to the fact the project was undertaken so residents of Grundy County would not be required to travel to another county for medical care. The role of keeping healthcare close to home remains vital for the hospital sixty years later, according to hospital CEO Pam Delagardelle, who thanked the supervisors for their support for the hospital over the years.
In part, the proclamation reads "The hospital continues its successful efforts to provide our county's residents with quality health care through improved access to medical specialists, expanded health care services, and through designation as a Critical Access Hospital. The Board of Supervisors recognizes the efforts of the Grundy County Memorial Hospital to promote good health and to care for the health needs of residents of our county and beyond." The proclamation goes on to recognize the economic impact the hospital has in the county as an employer of more than 215 people.
Grundy County Memorial Hospital’s leadership team gathers around Board of Supervisors chair Chuck Bakker as he signs a proclamation honoring the hospital on its sixtieth anniversary. From left, standing, hospital CEO Pam Delagardelle, CFO Lisa Zinkula, Chief Clinical Officer Jennifer Havens and Director of Operations Ryan Bingman. Supervisor Bakker is pictured in front. The hospital opened its doors to its first patients on July 1, 1952.