Sign In | Create an Account | Welcome, . My Account | Logout | Subscribe | Submit News | Home RSS

Do you have an advance directive?

October 29, 2011
Reinbeck Courier

Do you know what healthcare treatments you would want if you suffered from accident or illness that left you unable to speak for yourself? Do others know what these wishes are as well? Although this can be a difficult topic to bring up, it is extremely important so that your wishes can be known and protected. It can also be a huge relief to family and friends if that situation ever occurs.

An Advance Directive is a legal document that informs health care providers of your wishes in regards to medical treatment if you are unable to tell them for yourself. There are two types of Advance Directives in Iowa: the Durable Power of Attorney for Healthcare and the Living Will.

The Durable Power of Attorney for Healthcare is a document that names another to make medical decisions for you, if you were unable to do so. (This would only go into effect if you were unable to make your own decisions). A Living will is a document that lets medical staff know which treatments you may or may not want, if your condition has been determined to be terminal or one is in a permanent vegetative or unconscious state.

For more information about Advance Directives or obtaining documents, please contact Kristi Barnett, Social Services at Grundy County Memorial Hospital at (319) 824-4129.

If you have any questions regarding our services please call the hospital at (319) 824-5421 or visit our website at



I am looking for:
News, Blogs & Events Web